Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

Haiku Shuukan #1 Agony


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at this new creative weblog by Chèvrefeuille, a Dutch haiku-poet, named Haiku Shuukan. This is our first weekly prompt ''Agony'', not an easy one, but worth trying to write a haiku about. On this new weblog I will give every week a new prompt on Friday. Every episode will be open for a week to submit your inspired haiku and I will try to write/compose haiku myself on the given prompt.

Let's do some haiku-writing:

First the meaning(s) of agony:


+ extreme and generally prolonged pain; intense physical or mental suffering.
+ a display or outburst of intense mental or emotional excitement: an agony of joy.
+ the struggle preceding natural death: mortal agony.
+ a violent struggle.
+ Theology . the sufferings of Christ in the garden of Gethsemane.

Why this meaning(s) is (are) given? Well ... English is not my maiden language, I am from The Netherlands, so I don't know the meaning always.


Credits: Passionflower

As I look at these meanings I destilate from it a synonym namely "passion" and I love to use that word instead of agony. It's almost Easter and that story of Jesus Christ is known as The Passion ... so it looks very well for this time of year.

Here is my attempt to write a haiku on this prompt:

unconditional love
brought Him to the cross of thieves -
passionflower blooms

(c) Chèvrefeuille

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until Friday April 25th 11.59 AM (CET). Next week our prompt will be, blossom, a nice spring prompt. For now ... have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with us all here at Haiku Shuukan.


4 comments:

  1. our silence
    stone
    in the hands of the Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to another haiku journey Keistjaan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristjaan, the prompt "agony" is really tough to write a haiku on. I've made 2 tries as of now. Your valuable comments will make them better in later period surely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, this is a tricky one. At first I tried thinking about something that had caused me agony, but I couldn't find anything that had triggered such genuinely raw emotion. Instead, I found it helpful to think of an incident/event I know had been the cause of real agony in others. So:

      tsunami
      this christmas
      to the sea I throw a wreath

      This is one example, but I'm sure you can think of some that are more relevant to you. Good luck!

      Delete